Senior Property Accountant
FLSA Status: Exempt
Reports to: Controller
The Senior Property Accountant is responsible for accounting and external financial reporting for a portfolio of properties encompassing the full spectrum of transaction processing, general ledger analysis, external financial reporting, annual audit preparation and ownership distributions. The Senior Property Accountant will be responsible for updating and documenting accounting procedures to ensure accuracy, consistency and compliance throughout the entire portfolio which is composed of both owned and fee-managed market, mixed use and affordable multi-family properties.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.
- Record monthly gross potential rents, loss/gain to lease and vacancy.
- Perform all monthly account reconciliations and update supporting analytical schedules on a timely basis (cash, intercompany accounts, accounts receivable, prepaid expenses, accounts payable, accrued expenses).
- Recalculate and adjust management fees as required.
- Ensure timely payments of monthly mortgages and quarterly real estate tax payments.
- Create and maintain recurring payables and journal entries for each property as needed.
- Process non-standard or non-recurring payables and journal entries as necessary.
- Analyze, calculate and record monthly accrued expenses when necessary.
- Review and analyze monthly general ledger activity, research and resolve with property management personnel and record any adjusting or reclassifying entries necessary.
- Complete month-end closing and prepare and submit periodic reporting packages to lenders and/or investors.
- Partner with property management personnel in preparation of periodic and ad hoc reporting requests from ownership.
- Prepare year-end audit workpapers for external audit. Field on-going audit requests and manage the audit process for your portfolio. Review audited financial statements and distribute as necessary when finalized.
- Support property management’s annual budget preparation by preparing detailed budgets of specific non-operational expenses (ex. debt service, insurance and real estate taxes).
Cash Management & Other Duties
- Monitor available cash on an ongoing basis.
- Process and record cash transfers (wires, intercompany transfers, accounts payable and payroll funding, ownership distributions) as needed.
- Document and/or update accounting procedures.
- Identify process improvement opportunities to be evaluated.
- Act as the project manager on specific accounting, inter-departmental and software application initiatives as identified.
- Follow company policies and procedures at all times.
- Complete required trainings as assigned.
- Attend required meetings as requested.
Bachelor's degree in accounting or business administration, or equivalent business experience. A minimum of 7 years of accounting and 3 years residential property (multi-family housing) experience. Some prior experience with Yardi software required. Proficient in transactional and standard report proficiency. Demonstrated knowledge of Microsoft Office suite of products, with intermediate (or higher) level Excel skills. Highly organized with demonstrable prioritization and deadline management capabilities. Ability to take on additional tasks/projects with little guidance. Attention to detail and strong analytical skills. Collaborative and superlative work ethic.
- Push/Pull: Seldom
- Lift/Carry: Up to 20 pounds
- Sit: Up to 80%
- Stand: Up to 20%
- Walk: Up to 50%
- Bend/Stoop: Occasional
Local travel may be required between properties as needed.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Successful applicants for this position must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Requests for reasonable accommodation on the basis of disability or religion will be considered.